Posted to rec.woodworking
damian penney damian penney is offline

Default When do you need a bottom stretcher

On Jun 22, 11:55 am, "SonomaProducts.com" wrote:
Nice work on the bench. A few questions.

Getting the pins right on dovetails like that can be tricky. You have
to remove so much material before getting to the final sizing cut.
What methods\tools did you use? Did you remove material first or cut
it all with the same bit?

I cut the pins on the router table with a tall sliding jig, didn't
remove any material prior to making the final cuts just one pass
straight through the piece on each side. This left some material on
the sides of the rail that I removed with a bandsaw and a chisel for
the last pass.

How is the top done, attached, etc? I suppose that quilted part is
veneered over something. Is there some consideration for expansion.
Those long rails might get a bit longer in the summer.

The top (birdseye) is veneered to an MDF substrate and the entire
panel is epoxied to blocks attached to the inside of the rails, so no
consideration was made for expansion. Hopefully the glue will hold it
all in place...

Really nice job with the poly. I agree it is best for a working piece
like a bench but so fricking hard to get it to look nice and still
feel like wood.

This finish is the Maloof Poly/Oil, Oil/Wax finish, bench doesn't get
too abused and should be fairly easy to touch up if need be..