Posted to rec.woodworking
Ken McIsaac Ken McIsaac is offline

Default drywalling shop

On Sun, 24 Jun 2007 23:38:35 -0500, "todd" wrote:

"Roger Shoaf" wrote in message

"todd" wrote in message
My main question is: how big of a deal is doing the ceiling after the

walls?

I think it would be no problem. Just be sure to leave yourself a gap of
the
right size.

I couldn't just do the walls all the way up and start the ceiling "inside"
the drywall on the walls?

Also, it would be way easier in my mind to hang the drywall vertically
(parallel to the studs) rather than horizontally. For this application,
would it be OK? I'm open to any other constructive comments regarding

this
plan.

How tall are you? If you hang horizontally, you have the big easy seam 4
feet off the ground and do not need to go up and down the ladder as much
when taping. You can also use 12 footers easier and potentially elimate
another seam or two.

I'm of average height and I also forgot to mention that these are 10-foot
walls. So, either way, somebody's getting on a ladder to tape, I imagine.
It still might be better to do it perpendicular to the studs, though. I'm
less worried about which way the walls go than I am putting the ceiling off
for now.

I'm pretty sure you can do both of what you are describing (walls
before ceiling, and vertical installation). The pros don't install
boards vertically because it is faster the other way and because you
get a better finish. Vertical edges are harder to feather than
horizontal edges. Unless your mudding job is perfect, the repeated
vertical edges every four feet will be visible through your finish,
and tend to be more distracting than a single edge four feet from the
floor.

The pros also hang the ceiling first, then butt the walls up to it
because it is possible (provided your ceiling joists are perfectly
level) to get perfect seams at the ceiling without stressing the
sheet. You will find it very hard to put the last sheet in without
leaving a gap of 1/4" or so if you hang the walls first.

HOWEVER, as any amateur who has ever hung drywall can tell you, enough
mud and enough sanding will fix all of these problems. You might get
cracks in the finish someday. So what? It's your shop, not your
dining room. You will almost certainly put a six-foot piece of walnut
through the wall someday, as well. That is why they made patching
compound.

That said, I would still recommend horizontal installation, because it
means you have to do less taping and muding. Taping sucks and should
be avoided at all costs.

Good luck with your upgrades.

- Ken

thanks for your response.