Posted to uk.d-i-y
diypaint diypaint is offline

Default Shelf life of paint

On Jun 25, 9:22 pm, Stuart Noble
Does anyone know the shelf life of water based paint?
Living room due a repaint, I looked into the storage cupboard for
painting supplies. I found a unopened pot of Dulux (vinyl matt) from
when I first did the flat some 6 years ago. Wondering whether it is a
good idea to use it or whether I should play safe and buy new paint
instead.
Any advice appreciated!

cheers,
OC

It'll be fine. I've used 6 year old opened emulsion to patch up before now.

Has it separated at all? If so mix it up and leave for an hour or two.
If it separates again pretty much straight away, then it is well past
its best. Also, if it smells musty, then dont use it - waterbased
paints can go mouldy.

Note that if you intend to keep your paints for a while, it is best
not to paint from the tin, but to decant some off. Repeated dips of
your brush into the tin transports mould spores into the tin. If
enough of them get there, they will overcome the biocide and the paint
will go off.

www.diypaint.co.uk