Posted to uk.d-i-y
Steve Walker Steve Walker is offline

Default P.A.T. and hospitals.

On Sun, 24 Jun 2007 15:32:42 GMT, T i m wrote:

On Sun, 24 Jun 2007 16:18:52 +0100, Steve Walker
wrote:

The NHS trusts seem to insist that absolutely everything is tested before
they'll accept it - whereas every private company I've worked at (and as a
contractor, that's a fair few) accept brand new, still in it's packaging
equipment as ok until the next round of testing.

Which I think makes sense, considering the cost of this stuff (but I
guess that doesn't actually mean much in itself). More likely they
want to minimise the risk of some big law suit should the worst
happen.

My mother-in-law was in hospital, terminally ill and immobile, with only
about a week to live.

;-(

She was shoved on a three bedded ward with a broken
TV and no phone and basically left to brood.

Nice (Not)

We suggested us buying a brand
new TV, but they insisted that it would have to be tested and that would
take at least a week!

That's compassion for you.

I ended up fixing the headset for my MIL when she was in hospital
last. I just did it quietly (even borrowing some Selotape off
reception in lieu of insulation tape g) and re-patched the wires
back inside one of the headset enclosures (always carry the Leatherman
PST).

Easier than trying to find a working replacement ...

All the best ..

T i m

p.s. It's when you see / hear of all this broken / faulty stuff makes
me want to go round and sort it all (for the patients rather than the
system) but I guess politics / HSE would stop you .. (and a good job
in some cases).

They had had patientline installed (with phone, radio, TV etc.), but
because it was an elderly ward, they all paid reduced rates and the company
made no profit - so they ripped it all out!

SteveW