Posted to rec.woodworking
Frank Boettcher Frank Boettcher is offline

Default drywalling shop

On Sun, 24 Jun 2007 23:05:08 -0500, "todd" wrote:

I need to get some kind of interior finish on my shop walls now that they're
insulated, and I can't come up with a better idea than drywall. I'm going
to do this myself, probably with a helper who will probably know less about
hanging drywall than I do (which isn't much...the white side faces out,
right? ;-). Anyway, it appears that the recommended way to do this is to do
the ceiling first, then hang the walls with the drywall parallel to the
floor starting at the ceiling and working down. However, to get this thing
going, I'd rather do the walls first. Then I would run the electric surface
mounted on the drywall. At some later date, I would drywall the ceiling.
My main question is: how big of a deal is doing the ceiling after the walls?
Also, it would be way easier in my mind to hang the drywall vertically
(parallel to the studs) rather than horizontally. For this application,
would it be OK? I'm open to any other constructive comments regarding this
plan.

todd

I did my shop with drywall. Since it was not an occupied space and
separate from the main house, I used 3/8" drywall all around to make
the job a little easier. However, check your codes, mine allowed it.

Ceiling first so that you don't have to match up to any crooked walls
and probably takes movement without cracking better. Make a couple of
T-bars, or rent a lift.

Horizontal actually easier, in my opinion, you can rig some step on
lifts to close the seams, simple levers on blocks, although they sell
or rent some devices that do that. I like working that horizontal
seam four foot high, easier than working a lot of top to bottom seams.

Why would you not put the electrical in first?

The drywall was primarily to seal the insulation. After finished I
installed a bunch of framed sections of perf board to hang stuff on.
The drywall has held up well, despite my propensity to swing boards
and tools into it. Haven't punched any holes yet.

This from an individual who hates floating drywall but can do it when
necessary.

Frank