Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default roofing felt - is it needed

jon wrote:
I'm thinking of getting an attic conversion. The roof is welsh slate and in
very good condition, timbers fine, nails ok and ridge tiles etc. However, as
it's the original 1930's roof, there is no felt.

The question is, does it matter if we get an attic conversion. I have asked
all 3 companies who have provided quotes ( all reputable, with good
recommendations) and they've said it should be ok. Any reason why they
should be lying. Is roofing felt a must if you're having an attic
conversion. Can you fit felt without riping off the existing roof, or am I
just asking stupid questions.

The primary function of the felt is to provide windproofing and help
avoid slates being ripped off in storms etc.
It is not (as many think) there to keep the rain out!

If you are putting what amounts to a windproof scheme inside, you dont
really need it.

TIA

Jon