Posted to rec.woodworking
Peter Ashby Peter Ashby is offline

Default drywalling shop

todd wrote:

"Lew Hodgett" wrote in message
.net...
"todd" wrote:

I need to get some kind of interior finish on my shop walls now that

they're
insulated, and I can't come up with a better idea than drywall.

I'm going
to do this myself,.............

Let me play the devil's advocate for a moment.

Ever consider using T&G siding.

Relatively low cost, you won't punch holes thru it, and you can pretty
much hang anything you want, anywhere you want.

Be a good idea to rough in the electrical under the siding under the wall
covering, whatever you use.

BTW, not my idea, NYW had project building a workshop in a garage that
used it.

YMMV.

Lew

I hadn't considered T&G siding. I had considered plywood, though. The
siding would be a sight easier for me to deal with compared to the drywall.
I imagine it's at least double the material cost of drywall, but if I factor
in hiring out the drywall hanging like SWMBO wants to do, I might come out
ahead.

Put up something you can screw into whatever you do. My shop is a
concrete sectional garage. This means concrete panels bolted together
make the walls. The centre of the panels are very thin, only the edges
have any thickness and the inside edge around the panels is bevelled. To
hang anything I had to rip strips of ply to the right angle (I don't
have a tablesaw), laminate them together, drill them for the bolts and
bolt them in place using longer bolts. Then I screwed 18mm ply onto
them. So far the wall above my bench and the end wall above the bench
are done. Means I have two wall cabinets on the end wall now and some
saws are hung up by shaped blocks through the hole in the handle.

Don't do drywall, think finding studs every time you want to hang
something.

Peter
www.the-brights.net