Posted to rec.woodworking
Roy Roy is offline

Default drywalling shop

My 2 cents.

I echo what Lew said. Plywood, T&G, even wafer board. We did our garage in drywall a few years
ago, stuck in a bunch of circuits in, etc, for all the power tools. We even air conditioned it, so
it is actually a shop, not a garage.Only vehicles ever in it were during the hurricane a couple of
years ago (stacking power tools to make enough room was NOT fun).

Drywall was a mistake. I will have some sort of solid siding for the next (and last) shop. This
will be the ultimate shop, as I intend to spend my retirement in it. The cost will be a bit more
than with drywall, but since I expect to use it for another 20 years, it will be worth it. Nothing
fancy, but someplace with all the wiring hidden, and white painted ply or T&G or wafer board so I
can hang something where ever I darn well please. I do this with the current shop, but sometimes it
entails head scratching and finding the darn stud sensor.

Regards,
Roy

On Sun, 24 Jun 2007 23:05:08 -0500, "todd" wrote:

I need to get some kind of interior finish on my shop walls now that they're
insulated, and I can't come up with a better idea than drywall. I'm going
to do this myself, probably with a helper who will probably know less about
hanging drywall than I do (which isn't much...the white side faces out,
right? ;-). Anyway, it appears that the recommended way to do this is to do
the ceiling first, then hang the walls with the drywall parallel to the
floor starting at the ceiling and working down. However, to get this thing
going, I'd rather do the walls first. Then I would run the electric surface
mounted on the drywall. At some later date, I would drywall the ceiling.
My main question is: how big of a deal is doing the ceiling after the walls?
Also, it would be way easier in my mind to hang the drywall vertically
(parallel to the studs) rather than horizontally. For this application,
would it be OK? I'm open to any other constructive comments regarding this
plan.

todd