Posted to rec.woodworking
Roger Shoaf Roger Shoaf is offline

Default drywalling shop

"todd" wrote in message
I need to get some kind of interior finish on my shop walls now that

they're
insulated, and I can't come up with a better idea than drywall. I'm going
to do this myself, probably with a helper who will probably know less

about
hanging drywall than I do (which isn't much...the white side faces out,
right? ;-). Anyway, it appears that the recommended way to do this is to

do
the ceiling first, then hang the walls with the drywall parallel to the
floor starting at the ceiling and working down. However, to get this

thing
going, I'd rather do the walls first. Then I would run the electric

surface
mounted on the drywall. At some later date, I would drywall the ceiling.
My main question is: how big of a deal is doing the ceiling after the

walls?

I think it would be no problem. Just be sure to leave yourself a gap of the
right size.

Also, it would be way easier in my mind to hang the drywall vertically
(parallel to the studs) rather than horizontally. For this application,
would it be OK? I'm open to any other constructive comments regarding

this
plan.

How tall are you? If you hang horizontally, you have the big easy seam 4
feet off the ground and do not need to go up and down the ladder as much
when taping. You can also use 12 footers easier and potentially elimate
another seam or two.