Posted to alt.home.repair
Mike Dobony Mike Dobony is offline

Default need to downgrade breaker (from 40amp to 15amp) for new hvac?

wrote in message
ups.com...
Thank you for your responses.

We didn't do any of the wiring ourselves, the breaker is the same from
the prior HVAC unit (ca. 1987), I'm fairly certain the contractor who
installed the hvac a few months ago didn't make any change to the
breaker(s). He seemed quite competent and earnest, so I'm a little
reluctant to accept the inspector's word as gospel. Either way, I'm
concerned about a liability situation down the road, so I'm trying to
research this prior to having someone in to make a change.

The inspector stood in front of the breaker box pointing to the 40amp
breaker when he made the statement, so I'm pretty certain he's
referring to the breaker. The buyer read aloud a liability disclaimer
based upon the inspector's report.

Then change the breaker and add into the purchase agreement a disclaimer for
the inadequate breaker and lay hte blame on future breaker trips on the
incompetent inspector. Include power requirements (amp draw) of the HVAC
unit. Your attorney should know how to word it and lay the blame and
liability squarely upon the inspector's report. Be absolutely certain to
include the SIGNED (the inspector and buyer's signatures) inspection report
in the closing of the house. Have fun finding a 15 amp 240 breaker! 20 is
about the smallest I have seen and if you do find one, the wires might be
too big to fit them into the breaker! All you need to do to replace it is
to shut if off, take off the breaker box cover, unscrew the wires, pull out
the breaker, put the new one in, connect the wires, replace the cover, and
turn it back on. Simple job!

I read all of the literature that came with the unit - an electric
heat pump/air conditioning unit w/air handler.

I can guarantee that it draws MUCH more than 15 amps unless it is a micro
..25 ton unit! My 2 ton requires a 25 amp breaker and it also needs the
furnace! An electric heat pump plus aux heat requires even more amperage!

I did find this within the paperwork for the new unit (not sure if
this is relative):
This unit is designed for single-phase electrical supply. DO NOT
OPERATE ON A THREE-PHASE POWER SUPPLY. Measure the power supply to
the unit. The supply voltage must be in agreement with the unit
nameplate power requirements and within the range shown in:
Nominal Input 208/240
Minimum Voltage 187
Maximum Voltage 253
/i
I don't mind saying this is pretty much greek to me, but does this
mean if I check the plate on the unit I'll be able to tell what kind
of breaker is best (based upon the range info above)?

I plan on having someone come in to make the change, if it's
necessary, but I'd like to have an idea of whether it needs to be done
before 'going there.'

Again, thank you so much for any input.

WJ