Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Default need to downgrade breaker (from 40amp to 15amp) for new hvac?

See, I think you could be right about the inspector. I'm sure he's
quite knowledgable, but if he's seen this problem often, I figure hvac
units are installed by certified hvac techs.. who would be more likely
to be the expert?

I'm not that confident in his expertise... In fact, I'm giving
pretty low odds that he is right on this and, conversely, the other way
'round that he has the misconception of the breaker supposedly
protecting the device...I fully expect that the vendor requirement will
be for a _minimum_ of some value and as long as the original circuit
wasn't miswired the larger breaker is perfectly find for its intended
purpose.

Additionally, the lack of any liability for his
findings/report makes me hesitate to take his word as gospel... if
he's wrong & there's a problem w/the unit after we switch to 15amp,
who is liable? maybe me? I may end up telling the buyers if they
want me to have it changed, I'll have it changed, but I've let them
know I'm not certain it should be done.

The worst that can happen is the unit will trip so guess you could just
leave them w/ the problem. My understanding of the disclosure rules is
you make a disclosure of existing conditions, it's up to the buyer to
agree/reject/negotiate.

...I'd contact the
manufacturer, but I'm afraid of voiding the warranty.

No how, no way can simply asking a question affect the warranty.

This is a new unit, installed a few months ago, installer seemed quite
competent and knowledgable.

And I'd wager they probably were/are. If you haven't, I'd check w/ them
and get an explanation of their understanding of the inspector's
concern. If it makes sense (as I suspect it will) I'd give it to the
buyer and go on. If not, then you can decide whether an independent
opinion is worth the $$ or not.

OBTW, changing a breaker is pretty simple. Of course, be sure to turn
the feeder breaker off...