Posted to alt.home.repair
JD JD is offline

Default Attic Ventilation..

HeyBub wrote:
JD wrote:
I'm in the process of getting a new roof and the first roofer wants to
install ridge vents, which I wasn't familiar with. I've done some
research and ridge vents seem to be a good idea? I have some
questions:
I have a hip roof so do the ridge vents go on every ridge or just the
top or highest ridge?

I found a web page that talks about the relationship between the
amount of ridge vent and number of soffit vents.

http://www.rd.com/familyhandyman/content/18231/0

If you scroll about half way down the page they talk about Minimum
Venting Requirements. Is the information they provide correct? It
says a 1,500 sq ft attic will need 10 sq ft of venting, half on the
roof and half on the soffits. They say the factor is 1 sq ft of
venting for each 150 sq ft of attic. Is that correct?

Ridge vents are cheap. Put 'em everywhere there's a peak.

You can't have too much soffit venting. Honest.

The roofer is installing the ridge vents when he replaces the roof.
Since I have a hip roof, I have six ridges. Each ridge gets a vent?

If you look at that web page I posted, they imply you need an equal
amount of net free vent area for the soffit vents and the ridge vents or
the attic might not vent well? You can have excessive soffit vents but
if you don't have enough roof vents then the air got no place to get out?

--
JD..