Posted to alt.home.repair
HeyBub HeyBub is offline

Default Attic Ventilation..

JD wrote:
I'm in the process of getting a new roof and the first roofer wants to
install ridge vents, which I wasn't familiar with. I've done some
research and ridge vents seem to be a good idea? I have some
questions:
I have a hip roof so do the ridge vents go on every ridge or just the
top or highest ridge?

I found a web page that talks about the relationship between the
amount of ridge vent and number of soffit vents.

http://www.rd.com/familyhandyman/content/18231/0

If you scroll about half way down the page they talk about Minimum
Venting Requirements. Is the information they provide correct? It
says a 1,500 sq ft attic will need 10 sq ft of venting, half on the
roof and half on the soffits. They say the factor is 1 sq ft of
venting for each 150 sq ft of attic. Is that correct?

Ridge vents are cheap. Put 'em everywhere there's a peak.

You can't have too much soffit venting. Honest.