Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Default need to downgrade breaker (from 40amp to 15amp) for new hvac?

Travis Jordan wrote:
wrote in message .
See, I think you could be right about the inspector. I'm sure he's
quite knowledgable, but if he's seen this problem often, I figure hvac
units are installed by certified hvac techs.. who would be more likely
to be the expert?

Unfortunately, in my experience in many cases it is the inspector. Many
"certified" HVAC techs take shortcuts if they can get away with it. After
the #1 shortcut (inadequate evacuation prior to system charging), failing to
downsize a breaker when installing a more efficient system is probably the
#2 shortcut taken. ....

What, precisely, is the "shortcut"? If the existing wiring is sized for
40A, the circuit breaker isn't intended to do anything but protect the
wiring from short circuit faults, _NOT_ the load device, whatever it is.