Posted to alt.home.repair
Norminn Norminn is offline

Default Termite Treatment Question

Hannibal wrote:

Hi, I just noticed a bunch of insect wings
shedded off near 2 windowsills in the house.

This is usually a bad sign isn't it ??

Do I have a termite problem ?

I don't see any "mud tunnels" outside the
foundation. The exterior of the window sill
is brick (veneer), and the foundation is of
the poured concrete variety (no blocks).

If I have a termite problem - how would
they treat it ? Since no way am I going
to have them drill into my brick veneer !

There are "weep holes", but punching a larger
hole into there and into the insulation/wall
I would think is a very bad idea.

Absent any drilling into the exterior, is
digging a trench around the perimeter of the
foundation and pouring in the right amount
of, say Termidor - an effective treatment
method ?

Does brick veneer go all the way to the ground? If so, you would not
have to see mud tubes - mud tubes just allow termites to get from soil
to wood; with veneer or stucco that goes all the way down to soil, they
simply go up the inside of it. If you have a crawl space, they can also
go inside of it. If you tap around on wood around where you found
wings, you may find hollow sounding spots on wood trim, trame, or
baseboards. If window is wood frame, check the outside as well.

Our condo was tented twice, before we lived here, and there are old
signs.....blistery or uneven surface of wallboard where they have eaten
the paper coating (they don't generally eat through paint, and avoid
daylight). A neighbor had really eaten up baseboards around his patio
slider.