Jim Wilson

Default Shop lighting (How mine is lit)

nic wrote...
Has anyone tried 6500K or "daylight" bulbs? They're supposed
to provide a "whiter" light than the standard fluorescent
tube does.

Yep. For the machine shop, they make no significant difference. Not worth
the price, IMO. On the other hand, they do give a better rendition for
finishing woodwork, at fluorescent energy consumption and heat output.
However, most woodwork (at least most that I do) is used in a home
lighted primarily by incandescent bulbs. And AFAIK, the *only* way to be
sure you are getting the color you want is to finish the piece in the
same light that it will have in its intended place of use. That means
using incandescent light in the finishing area.

They are kinda expensive, but if they provide a
quality of light that is easier on the eyes, they might be
worth it.

Doesn't happen, in my experience. Save the bucks and put in more lights.
That definitely helps.

Cheers,

Jim