Posted to uk.d-i-y
Lobster Lobster is offline

Default Glossing without bits and specks...

Kaiser Sose wrote:

I have got loads of windows sills, skirting boards and doors to gloss paint.
I always seem to suffer from getting specks of dust and bits in the paint,
no matter how careful I am and this tends to spoil the end finish. Can
someone tell me what to do/best practises? I always use a 1.5inch Harris
Brush and Dulux paint.

Spookily enough this afternoon I painted my bathroom window sill,
skirtings and door using a 1.5" Harris brush with Dulux gloss! ;-)

Though I say it myself I'm very pleased with the result. Tips: lightly
sand down all the woodwork first to key the surface, vaccuum clean, then
a damned good wash with sugar soap. Next day, before painting, I run
the hoover crevice tool over the skirtings etc.

Inevitably a bit of muck sometimes gets into the undercoat; I get rid of
any such blemishes with glasspaper and dust off before applying the gloss.

Certainly wouldn't be using a roller for this.

David