Posted to alt.home.repair
Madx Madx is offline

Default Home Depot Wants $100 to Measure Kitchen

"mm" wrote in message
On Sat, 23 Jun 2007 07:34:01 -0700, "Madx" wrote:

My husband just reminded me we had to pay home depot $100 to measure for
laminate flooring we were going to do. They sent out some one with a tape
measure and a scratch pad (no cad drawing)

I thought the normal thing was to write numbers down and then do the
CAD drawing whereever the computer was. A floor is two dimensional,
and ought to able to be represented on paper.

I know the cad drawing comes after from the computer. But what I was trying
to say was that the $100 did not produce any kind of formal write up just a
recording of the square feet in the flooring order department. The
resulting number would have inflated the materials cost and the labor cost
which at the time was $9 a square foot for boh.

We bought pergo at $2.50 a square foot and installed it ourselves using our
own measurements and ordering 10% more.

The resulting number of square
feet was off by 150.

OTOH, this guy couldn't.

I suppose if the work were done by HD you would have/ might have
gotten the extra 150 feet for free. What *do* they do then.

My caution that they might run out of the color still seems possible
but less likely with laminate tile, because they can ship from all
over the country.

I remeasured and a future contractor measured to
confirm. The number of square feet was just recorded in the order
department. We did not receive a materials list or anything professional.
As for the kitchen design we took our own measurements in and they were
used
to give us a free cabinet layout.

That's the basis of why I would not pay $100 for someone to measure or
write
up a proposal. It's part of the cost of doing business as a contractor in
hopes of getting the job.