Posted to alt.home.repair
RicodJour RicodJour is offline

Default Home Depot Wants $100 to Measure Kitchen

On Jun 24, 8:13 am, wrote:
On Jun 23, 3:04 pm, RicodJour wrote:
On Jun 23, 11:13 am, wrote:

It is foolish to think a homeowner shouldnt compare prices. Unless
the estimate is in the range I was thinking the job should cost then
I will get a couple estimates.

I wrote, "Most people that get more than a couple or three bids are
simply price shopping. They think that all contractors are
interchangeable and will pick the lowest bid."

How do you construe that to mean, "Don't get bids?"

BTW, I wouldn't take a ladder off a truck for $40, much less go up on
a roof and install something. Maybe you're thinking about a handyman
working out of his 1987 Econoline or Town & Country?

Your price would likely be ridiculous and hear thanks but no thanks
with that attitude

I imagine you'd consider a "ridiculous" price to be any price that is
higher than what you want to pay.

Let's see if I've got this straight. You misread my post, attempt to
say that I advised not getting bids, then when I say that it's not
worth my time to take a ladder off of a truck for $40, it's an
attitude?

There are at least a couple of attitudes here. My attitude is that my
time is money - that I do fine work and expect to get paid
accordingly. Your attitude seems to be that getting several bids and
picking a low average somehow enables you to determine the value of my
work. That's just nonsense.

I pay my plumber $100 an hour and my electrician $90. These are my
subs. I understand the value of good work and I'm willing to pay for
it. Not thrilled about the bill sometimes, but I've never regretted
it.

Isn't the system great? I get to choose who I work with and so do
you. You and I would never get past the initial phone call. Saves
everybody's time.