Posted to alt.home.repair
RBM RBM is offline

Default need to downgrade breaker (from 40amp to 15amp) for new hvac?

If the unit has an electric heating element in it that requires a 40 amp
feeder, you don't want to change it. It may be possible that two feeds are
required, one for the blower and a separate one for the heater and your
father installed an improper jumper to feed both. I would call a local
electrician to give a look

wrote in message
ups.com...
Hello,
I recently had a home inspection in preparation for selling my house.
The inspector informed the buyer that I need to downgrade the circuit
breaker (from 40amp to 15amp) for new hvac? He said he sees this
problem a lot. My father, who does a lot of DIY including some
electrical, says that if we change to 15amp when the hvac switches to
aux. heat it will blow the breaker?

I need to find out if this really needs to be changed, the inspector
warned the hvac unit could be damaged if this isn't changed. But I
don't want to have the change done if it will cause problems when the
unit goes to aux heat.

I'd call the hvac installer, but, clearly, they didn't think it was
necessary to change the breaker & I'd really like an independent
opinion on this.

ALSO, is changing a breaker best left to an electrician or might this
be something we could do ourselves?

Thanks in advance for any input.
WJ