Posted to alt.home.repair
aemeijers aemeijers is offline

Default attic access hole size

"Joseph Meehan" wrote in message
MiamiCuse wrote:
I have noticed that older houses typically have smaller access holes.
My 1992 house the access to the attic opening is about 26"x26", and
my 1972 house have five access holes to the attic and each one is
only about 16"x16". This is too small for many people to get through
- electricians, pest control etc...

Does this mean in general the population is getting bigger over the
years?
MC

It means the framing is different and the newer construction is likely
using engineered framing and it has different spacing.

Shrug. Usually means the builder was cheap, or the designer never actually
swung a hammer, and was trying to shave pennies to hit a price point. One
summer as a kid, I worked for a builder throwing up low-end cookie cutters.
These places had a roof overhang in front, and 3 feet down the sides, but
then cut back to no overhang. All to save a few bucks on the roof system. As
to attic access holes- these places had 16x20, in a small closet above the
shelf. This 1960 cookie cutter I am in is pretty good for access- 24x24, in
the hall at attic centerline. My other house, we put in a pull-down stair,
headered off properly.

I'd hate to have me for a customer- I grew up in the business, with a good
designer for a father. Sadly, I didn't inherit his talent, but it was a good
education in what is and isn't good design and workmanship.

aem sends....