Posted to rec.woodworking
Lee Michaels Lee Michaels is offline

Default Plans for a wooden forklift or pallet lifter/mover? (JT?)

"Morris Dovey" wrote

Bob the Tomato wrote:
| What about a giant see-saw? You could put the pallet on a platform
| on one end, then stack weights on the other end until it
| counterbalances and raises the pallet to the truck deck height.
| Then wheel up to the pallet with the driver's pallet jack and slide
| it into the truck.

Kind of like a trebuchet, except that it doesn't actually /throw/ the
pallet? :-)

It is not a bad idea Morris. I did something like this in a home gym
installation many years ago. They wanted a machine to help out with the
chinning bar but there was no room for it. It would assist folks who lacked
the strength to do a chin.

In front of the chin bar was a piece of equipment that I drilled holes in. I
welded up a lever that could be taken out and stored along one wall. It had
a T one one end and a peg to hold weights on the other end. You piled some
weights on, stood on the T, and started to do assisted chins.

I am not sure how practical it would be for you. But if you could roll the
pallet out there, a movable fulcrum with a foldable lever would get the job
done. And it would fold back up out of the way. And the whole process
wouldn't take that long to set up, load, break down and put away.

If you put wheels on the fulcrum/base, you could roll the pallet right onto
the truck. You could also make the lever on your end long enough, that your
body weight would lift the pallet. Just put a knotted rope on it and pull it
down to the ground while the other end rises to truck height.

As for the trebuchet idea, I always wanted to build one.