Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default P.A.T. and hospitals.

In article ,
T i m writes:
On Sun, 24 Jun 2007 08:45:17 GMT, "John"
wrote:

I assume they were talking about PAT here (not biological testing) and
I was wondering what the rules were and could I have had the fan
'tested' elsewhere and would the little sticker on the plug be
sufficient 'proof' that this had been done (if not what point is there
to it) please?

I guess they can make their own rules and the staff will have to comply
(without using common sense)

Indeed, but what are the 'rules' re PAT please. Like, if I had it
tested at site A could I take it to site B and have it still 'in test'
would you know please?

There are no global rules -- it's up to each organisation to define
its own as part of its risk assessment process. There are a set of
IEE guidelines for PAT testing which are also recognised by HSE,
but there's no legal requirement to follow exactly those.
An organisation might decide that anything coming in from off-site
must be PAT tested before use, in which case Site A's test cert
would be worthless. A hospital might decide that they are going
to have more strict earth leakage requirements than the guidelines,
in which case again, someone else's pass might become a fail.

I felt if I had taken our own electric fan in and offered "It's ok,
this one has been tested, look points to sticker on plug" that they
would have said 'ok' (assuming that was acceptable, I wouldn't want to
case any issues for the staff etc).

They might accept that, but most likely because the staff concerned
were not that familiar with the organisation's exact requirements.

--
Andrew Gabriel