Posted to alt.home.repair
HerHusband HerHusband is offline

Default Jack up floor to replace rotted beam?

I need to jack up a section of a floor to replace a rotted beam. The wall
above sagged down a little over an inch once the beam had rotted. I have
full access in the basement, and the wall above doesn't support anything.
We're gutting and remodeling the bathroom above, so I'm not worried about
cracking plaster.

I have a basic plan of attack in mind, but I'd like to hear from other's
who have done this. What size jack did you use, how did you set it up, etc.

I'm an experienced do-it-yourselfer, and my wife and I even built our own
house, but this will be the first time I've needed to jack up an old floor.

Anthony