Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Default Selecting screw/nail sizes

Ray K wrote:
I'm building an outdoor planter box(about 6.25"x6.25"x13 feet)that will
attach to the side of my house. The pine lumber was nominally 1x8,
ripped to 6.25" and with a true thickness of 3/4". How should I select a
screw or nail to attach the 7.75 x 6.25" end cap? I only have 3/4" to
stick the fastener into, which means that there is only 3/8" of wood on
either side of the fastener.

I'd use a 6d (I'd prefer a 7, but they're getting very hard to find any
more ) finish nail or if you don't mind the head even a 8d _box_ nail
would do. A box nail, if you're not familiar as a smaller shank than a
"common" of the same penny size for, as the name suggests, the precise
reason.

Although it won't make any long term difference in strength because of
the end grain, I'd use Type III glue or this is a place where even
urethane glues have a place for the waterproof nature as a moisture seal
to prevent mostly water wicking into the end grain.