Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

Default carpentry question

On Jun 23, 11:32 am, "Art" wrote:
We are replacing part of a bathroom floor along side a non support wall.
This is because the floor was not installed level and also suffered water
damage. The carpenter said we should put blocking under the wall between
joists since we will be cutting the plywood subfloor next to it and the wall
might eventually sag without the blocking. I certainly agree. The question
I have is should the plywood be just laid and nailed on top of the blocking
or should we add blocking perpendicular and between those first blocks so
the cut edge of the plywood has something to sit on. Thanks for your
advice.

The more edges you tie together in floors, walls, whatever, the
stronger the structure will be. Applies to drywall, too. Your
intuition on this one is absolutely correct. Keep in mind that
construction adhesives add tremendously to overall quality and that is
why more and more quality homes are being litertally glued together
thse days. HTH

Joe