Posted to alt.home.repair
terry terry is offline

Default Unusual event - The answer

On Jun 23, 9:22 am, "Travis Jordan" wrote:
"H" wrote in message

The 11V, I was told by an electrician, actually means zero, since just
about anything, including one's own skin, has that much electricity in it.
So, despite the fact that I said continuity was tested, that was before I
understood that 11V could mean zero.

Utterly incorrect on all counts. Please, next time learn how to use a
voltmeter and ohmmeter before asking for help.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Just another comment/suggestion; although the point should be obvious
by now.

Many, even the cheapest electronic/digital meters are so sensitive
that they will 'pick up' electrical voltage even from wires that are
not connected or are broken off; (this can be due to 'induction' or
'capacitive coupling') to be technical about it!

These 'stray' voltages (or minivoltages) can appear significant if the
disconnected/unused/broken wires are in fairly close proximity to
working ones carrying electrcity!

Even touching ones finger to a sufficiently sensitive meter can cause
it to pick up the slight voltages,due to the human body's proximity to
electrical sources.

So users of such devices 'must' learn how to use them correctly. After
all we wouldn't expect someone to not learn how to use a pair of
scissors or a handsaw correctly?

To also explain; think how small electrical signals come through space
and can be picked up by suitably sensitive receiver; your radio, even
when traveling in a moving vehicle.

There is also a lot of electrical noise/energy radiated from the many
devices that are used, some of which are just standing by waiting to
trigger/activate something, some of which just inadvertently emit
'electrical noise'.

There is in fact, these days, virtually nowhere (unless in the middle
of very remote area; and even then there may be radar pulses raining
down from space vehicles/satellites etc.) that is 'electrically
quiet'.

Electrical noise is another form of pollution (along with light
pollution at night). And is quite a problem for radio astronomy.