Posted to alt.home.repair
RBM RBM is offline

Default Exterior Electrical Box Question

Yes they are necessary. If you just had a cable sticking through the siding,
and attached it to a fixture, then screwed the fixture to the siding, a poor
connection against the siding could cause a fire

"Robert11" wrote in message
Hello,

Regarding exterior lights, e.g., over a garage:
Also, a xenon light fixture over a Deck:

All these exterior light fixturescome with a built in, integral, metal
base of course, that is quite adequate to cover up the wire nuts.

Question: is it legal to mount them right against the exterior clapboards
?

Or, must a "J Box" (I think this is what they are called perhaps ?) be
mounted between the base and the wood
to be legal ? Why ?

The boxes I'm thinking about are those typical Bell brand Aluminum boxes
made for outside usage.

Are they "really" necessary ?

Thanks,
Bob