Posted to alt.home.repair
Bob F Bob F is offline

Default today's problem: pool filter leaking

"dkhedmo" wrote in message
et...
OK, so the pool is now full of what may or may nor be softened
water.
(New to us house, first time pool owners, pool more than 3 and less
than 10 yrs old.) When the water level got high enough to start
entering the skimmer, the cartridge filter started leaking from
where the top and bottom meet. When the water was high enough to
turn on the pump, I did so just to see what would happen and water
gushed out from the filter in every direction possible. So I turned
it all off.

I put a call in to the pool company that opened the pool for me, but
I haven't heard back from them yet. I paid them a lot of money to
open the pool, which isn't really as ready to go as I expected it to
be, and they haven't returned a call from yesterday afternoon, so
I'm getting a little frustrated with them. I've got a call in also
to a local guy from the Pennysaver who seems to deal in dismantling
and reselling pools and equipment. His phone number is very local to
mine, so I'm hoping he'll stop by to assess the filter for me and
maybe either be able to service it or switch it out for me for
something he's got on hand.

We really don't want to put a lot of money into this pool, my
husband would be more inclined to just let the local guy dismantle
the damn thing and haul it out of here! But the kids will be
heartbroken, and I've already paid a crapload of non-refundable
money for swimming lessons for the kids in anticipation of keeping
them from drowning in this alleged backyard pool.

So my question is, can anyone give me an idea of what might be wrong
with the filter, so that I have some hope of not being totally
snowed by someone into purchasing completely new equipment if
avoidable.

Someone might be able to help if you gave the pertinent info. Like,
for instance, what filter it is.

Without that, I'd suggest tightening the offending parts, and/or
replacing o-rings or gaskets, with proper lubrication.

Bob