Posted to alt.home.repair
RBM RBM is offline

Default Unusual event - The answer

Glad you found it. That's pretty amazing, not to mention pretty bad luck.
The other thing that I find amazing, is that someone could cut through two
40 amp lines and not know it

"H" wrote in message
Folks,

Firstly, thanks to all responders.

The problem was caused by the contractor who installed the line for the
new addition. He did, in fact, slice cleanly through the two 240V lines
that were behind the wall into which he drilled the hole.

The 11V, I was told by an electrician, actually means zero, since just
about anything, including one's own skin, has that much electricity in it.
So, despite the fact that I said continuity was tested, that was before I
understood that 11V could mean zero.

The original contractor came in and repaired it, firstly by cutting a hole
in the ceiling in the basement so he could see and confirm the damage, and
then by going upstairs into the kitchen, cutting a hole in the wale above
the problem and putting in a box in which the old lines were (presumably
correctly) spliced onto a new leads to go to the breaker box.

We have A/C and a dryer again, for which my bride is extremely grateful.

"H" wrote in message
In my breaker box, I have two 40A breakers side by side. One is for the
A/C, one is for the electric dryer.

Seemingly simultaneously, both of them experienced a loss of power
(around 11V) on one leg. Thus, neither the dryer nor a/c work.

Can anyone imagine how this could happen, seemingly simultaneously?