Posted to alt.home.repair
Pop` Pop` is offline

Default Nails - Screws are too Weak

bill allemann wrote:
Just have a general contractor estimate building a house for you with
your suggested methods.
You will then know why houses are not built that way.

wrote in message
Have you ever noticed how houses are built? They use small nails and
screws to hold the wood pieces together. It's no wonder houses are
so easily destroyed in tornados and hurricanes. Think about this
once. We have a large house, filled with heavy furniture which
weighs many tons, and it;s being held together with a these tiny
nails and screws that fit in our hands and weigh less than an ounce.
How in the heck are those small things supposed to hold together a
large house? Sure, under ideal conditions they do, and that is
mostly just because the wooden pieces are stacked in a way that that
any stacked objects will stay in a stack as long as the stack is not
pushed or shoved. The nails do not hold anything, they only retain
the stack in position. But when force is applied, the stack
collapses because the nails are weak. Consider the facts. How can
a 1/8 inch (or less) thick piece of steel hold together a megaton
house? The answer is, IT CAN NOT. That thin piece of steel can
easily be broken with a simple plyers and a few pounds of muscle
power. Nails and screws are obsolete and outdated. They should
have become history many years ago, when the settlers to this
country moved out of tents and discovered how to build a log cabin. Yet,
in this modern age we still use them, and people die constantly
when storms apply some force to the houses and other structures that
we build with nails. When are we going to learn to build properly,
where all wood is welded together using glues and adhesives, along
with interlocking pieces of wood which we had used in the earlier
barn construction. If wooden pieces were both interlocked AND
glued, our homes would withstand most storms. Instead we continue
to use nails and screws, while people die and homes are destroyed
whenever the wind blows strongly. Wake Up America !!! Lets start
building houses that STAY together...... Larry

Well ... not only that, but the "nails and screws" aren't really all that
holds a house together with the exception of sheathing. Gravity and proper
designs do more than the nails & screws.