Posted to alt.home.repair
Jim Yanik Jim Yanik is offline

Default Nails - Screws are too Weak

" wrote in
oups.com:

On Jun 22, 8:04?am, Tom Kendrick wrote:
Continuing the logic, why use ordinary WOOD as the material? The
geodesic dome homes that are concrete over a foam core produce a
superior strength and insulation value. When the joints in wood are
superior to the material itself, then the wood itself shatters.

On Fri, 22 Jun 2007 06:43:05 -0500, wrote:
Have you ever noticed how houses are built? They use small nails and
screws to hold the wood pieces together. It's no wonder houses are so
easily destroyed in tornados and hurricanes. Think about this once.
We have a large house, filled with heavy furniture which weighs many
tons, and it;s being held together with a these tiny nails and screws
that fit in our hands and weigh less than an ounce. How in the heck
are those small things supposed to hold together a large house? Sure,
under ideal conditions they do, and that is mostly just because the
wooden pieces are stacked in a way that that any stacked objects will
stay in a stack as long as the stack is not pushed or shoved. The
nails do not hold anything, they only retain the stack in position.
But when force is applied, the stack collapses because the nails are
weak. Consider the facts. How can a 1/8 inch (or less) thick piece
of steel hold together a megaton house? The answer is, IT CAN NOT.
That thin piece of steel can easily be broken with a simple plyers and
a few pounds of muscle power. Nails and screws are obsolete and
outdated. They should have become history many years ago, when the
settlers to this country moved out of tents and discovered how to
build a log cabin. Yet, in this modern age we still use them, and
people die constantly when storms apply some force to the houses and
other structures that we build with nails. When are we going to learn
to build properly, where all wood is welded together using glues and
adhesives, along with interlocking pieces of wood which we had used in
the earlier barn construction. If wooden pieces were both interlocked
AND glued, our homes would withstand most storms. Instead we continue
to use nails and screws, while people die and homes are destroyed
whenever the wind blows strongly. Wake Up America !!! Lets start
building houses that STAY together......

Larry- Hide quoted text -

there are concrete homes being built today in florida, hurricane
reststant to 300 MPH winds. yet have regular sloped roofs

way stronger and better

I saw that(concrete roof) on a TV news program,it looked very interesting.
If I were building a new house,that's the way I'd go.
Makes your whole house a "safety room"!

Then all you need is that new screening for the windows to keep blown
debris from shattering them.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik