Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Rumm John Rumm is offline

Default Router door hindge recess?

Peter Ashby wrote:

Corner chisel is just another completely unnecessary bit of kit which
the likes of Axminster and co hope to sell to gullible amateurs -
which applies to about 90% of their catalogue.

Agreed, if people knew how to use a chisel they wouldn't need a thing
like that.

Makes sense in a production environment - get results more quickly, and
you don't need to fork out for someone who does know how to use a chisel.

True, but this is uk.d-i-y, diy is not usually associated with
production environments. For a diyer or a home woodworker such tools are
essentially vanity items. The OP indicated he had one door to do, he

No, I disagree with that. A DIYer not particularly skilled in woodwork
may not be able to get an acceptable result with traditional hand tools
on this job, and yet ought to be able to archive very good results with
a router and jig. So it does not seem fair to describe it as a vanity item.

seems to have a router. For that job a commercial hinge jig is way OTT.

A commercial one may be, however knocking one up out of a bit of ply and
some 2x1" may be eminently sensible.

At most the suggestion of using the router freehand to leave the line is
the most practical use of a router, anything more is ridiculous.

Not really up to you to decide what is, or is not, reasonable for
someone else though is it?

Much depends on how much you value your time and the quality of the end
result. If I did not know how to cut the rebates by hand, then I might
be tempted to buy a commercial jig since it would give me top quality
results quickly, without having to waste time making a jig.

--
Cheers,

John.