Posted to alt.home.repair
Phisherman Phisherman is offline

Default Advice on fixing new lawn

On Thu, 21 Jun 2007 19:45:13 -0400, "Dante" wrote:

My father-in-law (who occasionally helps his brother in his landscaping
business) offered to help me redo our entire lawn. We roto-tilled it, raked
it, fertilized, then seeded. But it is still very uneven. I know it's going
to be a disaster once the grass is established and I have to mow it. He
basically took charge of the project and all the labor and the roto-tiller
were free so I'm not in a position to complain or ask that it be done
differently. What should I do at this point? Should I get a grading rake and
try to fix it up and then reseed it or should I just let it grow and then
try to fix it later a little at a time? Will it even grow since we didn't
roll it or even rake the seed into soil? We just dropped it with the
spreader and watered. I think I know what I need to do I just don't want to
seem ungrateful. Maybe this question belongs in a family psychology forum
instead I have spot lights so I can do the work in the middle of the
night so no one knows.

Thanks
Dante

All depends. (This is hard to respond without seeing the lawn
condition.) If there is a good stand of grass level out the dips with
a layer of topsoil, just an inch at a time using a bow rake. You can
start all over and level everything out, although if a lot of money
was spent on the seed that may not be so prudent. When starting a
lawn there will always be bare spots to fill in later. Use the same
kind of seed. When seeding lightly rake the seed into the soil--the
seed must be in direct contact with the soil else it won't germinate.
Overseeding will give a thicker lawn with fewer weeds. Use a lawn
fertilizer labeled "Starter" when you seed. "Rolling a lawn" will
compact the soil--not good.