???

Default Shop lighting (How mine is lit)

Brad,

I am a watchmaker and have a 20X25 foot shop w/ 3 west facing windows. My
watch bench is under one of the windows, my watch lathe is set so my back is
to the windows (about 8 feet away) (I actually only have to swivel in my
chair to take something from the watch bench to my watch lathe). My 8 inch
lathe is set so I get light from the windows (about 12 feet away) along the
North wall. In spring and fall I open the door on the east wall which adds
more natural light.

My mill is in the Northeast corner of the shop which would be the darkest
spot if it were not for ceiling fixture directly overhead.

My shop is in the basement of a split level, so my windows begin at about
stomach level.

I have 5 4 tube fluorescent fixtures in my drop ceiling. Walls and cabinets
are eggshell white (semi gloss). I have one fixture situated over the mill,
another situated over the 8 inch lathe, two along the windows (over my watch
bench and a counter) and a fifth over my wheel cutting station.

At each machine I have a $10 (from IKEA) Halogen lamp. I also have one at
my watch bench. Since I have one machine table set up with my watchmaker's
lathe, micro drill press and carbide graver grinding setup, I have one only
one of the halogen lamps there.

In addition, at both benches (watch and clock) I have the traditional swing
arm lamps.

I like light (obviously); it is one of the most underrated tools we use. I
work with a loupe 50% of the time and the increased contrast is nice.

On machines the fluorescent lights sometimes create a strobe effect. This
is the reason I use the fluorescents as a background/fill while "swamping"
it with natural or incandescent light at the actual work area.

The shop has air-conditioning so I cannot address the impact of heat from
the lights. However, it is rare that they are all on at the same time.

Hope this helps.
--
Regards,
Dewey Clark http://www.historictimekeepers.com

"James B. Millard" wrote in message
I'm having a small shop built and am getting close to having to decide

what
I'm going to do for lighting. the shop is 14'x18' and will house a
workbench a small lathe and mill and whatever else I accumulate...

I was thinking about flourescent lighting but I don't really have any idea
how much or exactly what optimum placement is.

Anybody have any ideas?

Thanks!

Brad

Brad Millard On-line ballistics for small arms...
www.eskimo.com/~jbm