Posted to uk.d-i-y
normanwisdom normanwisdom is offline

Default Router door hindge recess?

On 22 Jun, 11:18, "
wrote:
On Jun 22, 10:53 am, (Peter Ashby) wrote:

The OP indicated he had one door to do, he

No, he said "Can you use a router to make the recess for door hindges
on the door and frame" which doesn't indicate the quantity.

seems to have a router. For that job a commercial hinge jig is way OTT.
At most the suggestion of using the router freehand to leave the line is
the most practical use of a router, anything more is ridiculous.

The most practical use would be to make a jig and use that. Freehand
routing is a recipe for a disaster for an inexperienced user, which I
assume the OP is, otherwise he wouldn't be asking the question.

MBQ

Yebbut you'd have to buy/make/adapt a jig for every size hinge you are
likely to use
the corners aren't square so you'd still have to use a chisel
if you can use a chisel you don't need jig or router
difficult anyway to use a router on the rebate of a frame
if you have a hinge you don't need a template
it's much quicker with a chisel.
But on the rare occasions when I would use a router it'd most
definitely not be freehand but I'd take it right up to the line using
the router's fence, with chisel for the top and bottom of the hinge
leaf housing.

cheers
Jacob