Posted to alt.home.repair
Bob F Bob F is offline

Default Advice on fixing new lawn

"Robert" wrote in message
ps.com...
On Jun 21, 6:00 pm, "Dante" wrote:
BTW is this the proper rake to use to level the soil? I've been
using a
narrow bow rake that doesn't seem to work
well.http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?actio...ductId=28167-3...

That looks like a good rake to me. A lot of home centers will rent
the rake and the roller instead of making you buy for a one time
purpose.

It sounds to me that your father in law may be pushy and you may be
inexperienced in assertiveness or maybe your father in law is very
sensitive to rejection. Whatever the reason, playing games is
exhausting. Compassionate honesty, as opposed to brutal honesty,
may
hurt at first but, in the long run, it is best. For now, while you
sort things out on the best way to interact with your father in law,
think you have a good idea about doing the job at night.

I would rake it, roll it then rake again. - Robert

I'll second that. Then roll, then rake again until it is truely flat.
The last raking should just loosen the surface. Seed, then rake
lightly to hide most of the seed. Roll that lightly. Then set a timer
on sprinklers to water it just enough to get it wet looking every hour
or so. Just a sprinkling. You don't want to wash things away, and no
need to water deeply - the seed is at the surface. You just need to
make sure it doesn't dry out until the seed is sprouted. If you can't
water that often, you will need to water harder, but don't overdo it.

Bob