Posted to alt.home.repair
Colbyt Colbyt is offline

Default Pedestal sinks

"Harlan Messinger" wrote in message
Why is a solid backing needed behind a pedestal sink? The pedestal does
support it, doesn't it?

In any event, I'm planning to install one that I found--at a time when I
was considering buying one--that had been left at the curb in great
condition. It's a Glacier Bay model. Of course, I have no installation
instructions, no measurement guide, no drilling pattern. Any tips about
making sure I fasten the sink to the wall at just the right location?

Also, I'm not sure what kind of fasteners to use. One of the old ones was
still stuck into the hole in the back of the sink--it's got a metallic
anchor that runs most of the length of the bolt. I'm not sure how that
works with drywall with a wood plank behind it--I thought anchors were for
drywall-only attachment.

You have gotten conflicting advice so far in this thread. Most everyone may
be right based on their experiences and the sink they installed. The better
ones have a traditional style hanger bar and the pedestal for support. The
cheaper ones omit the hanger bar and you have to break your back to attach
it with lag bolts which are not furnished. That latter one would be the Home
Cheapo $39 model.

IMO, for any of them you need wood behind the drywall. Either for the
hanger or the lag bolt.

All the pedestals I have seen also have holes in the bottom of the base to
screw the base to the floor. I use fender washers and #8 hex heads on wood.
On concrete I use the washers and tapcons.

You may be able to buy and use a universal hanger bar if your sink takes
one. Chances are you will have to go to a real plumbing supply house to buy
one. The BORG just won't have it.

You can make do with out instructions by placing some masking tape on the
wall, setting the sink on the base, leveling it L_R and F_B and then
scribing a line on you tape. Careful measuring will then tell you where to
place the hanger bar.

Have I ever hung one with out the wood? Yes for the hanger bar model. Use
3 or 4 toggle bolts and washers to attach the hanger bar. This trick will
only work with a pedestal type.

Colbyt