Posted to uk.d-i-y
Martin Pentreath Martin Pentreath is offline

Default Combi boiler noise levels

On 21 Jun, 20:24, Dr Steve Burrow wrote:
Hi,

I've received 3 quotes for fitting the same combi boiler in our house
(a Worcester 37CDI), but the fitters have given me contradictory
advice on where I should put it based on the noise levels from this
machine, I wondered if anyone here could help.

One company recommended putting it in the loft because it would be too
noisy for a bedroom. Another thought we should put it in our bedroom
airing cupboard because "the noise levels are minimal on the newer
models). I haven't been able to track down any decibel ratings for
combi boilers so I thought I'd ask here.

Any thoughts? Thanks.

Steve

I can't comment on that particular model. I've got an Ariston
Microgenus combi which has ended up inside a cupboard in a sort of
lobby area outside the kitchen. I'm glad it's there rather than in any
room used for living in, and especially rather than in a bedroom. I
find it quite noisy. It's the fan-powered flue which is the noisy
bit.

It replaced an old-fashioned non-balanced-flue boiler from the 1980s,
which apart from the slight hiss of gas was virtually silent. OK, it
could kill you in your sleep with CO, but at least you could GET to
sleep.

Cheers!

Martin