Posted to alt.home.repair
mike mike is offline

Default Unusual event

On Jun 21, 9:53 am, Jeff Wisnia wrote:
H wrote:
"Eric9822" wrote in message
ups.com...

On Jun 20, 6:50 pm, "H" wrote:

In my breaker box, I have two 40A breakers side by side. One is for the
A/C, one is for the electric dryer.

Seemingly simultaneously, both of them experienced a loss of power
(around
11V) on one leg. Thus, neither the dryer nor a/c work.

Can anyone imagine how this could happen, seemingly simultaneously?

I assume you have two 40A double pole breakers side by side, is this
correct? 11V L1 to L2? 11V L1 or L2 to N? Please provide some more
details.

Yes, there are two 40A double pole breakers side by side.

On both, at the breaker, it's 240V on both.

At the other end of the line, it's around 80V (combined) on both. One leg
has 127V, the other measures between 11V and 18V.

You still aren't telling us specifically where you are putting your
voltmeter leads to measure those voltages.

And, are you using an "electronic" voltmeter subject to displaying
voltages developed across its input impedance by microamp sized
capacitively coupled currents, or are you using a lower impedance analog
meter, not subject to showing so called "phantom" voltages?

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

I wish manufacturers would mention the Phantom Voltage issue with
electronic multimeters. It would save a lot of needless frustration.