Posted to sci.electronics.repair
J. T. Laurie J. T. Laurie is offline

Default a question

Thanks for not yelling at me, so to speak. I was told by my less-than-smart
grandma "new tv's don't have coils, they have chips"
All right. I understand about the magnetic field, now.I think I might have
someone sighted do it for me. My pharmaceuticals of choice? hmmm...
why keep it separate from kids and pets when its plugged in? Is there a
chance of shock? I know that seems like a stupid question, but if its
insulated, I don't see the trouble.
Thanks for your help..
wrote in message
ups.com...
On Jun 21, 12:21 pm, "J. T. Laurie" wrote:
All right. I will preface this by giving a little background, as I was
called on the carpet for not doing before.
I would like to make a device called an onomatograph. What you do is
disassemble an old television and remove the horizontal deflection coil.
Put
it in the other one, (you have two television sets, one with both coils
and
one that you nip the coils out of) and connect them. then you connect it
a sound output device like a stereo and it produces the effects similar
windows media player's visualisations.
however, if I am to make this, there are a few questions still remaining
1. can I do something with the remote to be able to select which pattern,
like stars or spirals I can get?
2. is there a way to put wireless headphones between the output of the
stereo and the input of the scope?
3. can it be done in colour and if so how?
Thank you guys for any help you can provide. if you are curious about it
just google onomatograph.

Dayumm...

Seems like a lot of trouble to enhance the effects of your
recreational-pharmaceutical-of-choice. Dangerous to boot.

Voltages of up to (and possibly in excess) of 1500 volts occur inside
televisions. Many are "hot-chassis" devices. If you happen to insert
yourself into such a circuit either by accident or stupidity, it could
_really_ ruin your day. It could also ruin your supporting equipment,
cause excessive lost of magic smoke, threaten real-estate and lots-O-
other disasterous stuff.

And, you are watching a BOX for crissakes.

All that being written:

a) You can as well do it with color, but the deflection coils are
typically ahead of the focusing coils and one for each color beam, so
you may have a placement issue as you are essentially creating an
interference pattern with the added coil(s). You may also have to deal
with three additional deflection coils vs. only one, requiring
possibly three input channels.
b) You will have NO control over the patterns. That is fixed by the
random magnetic field generated in the additional coil, generated by
the music, generated by the otherwise position of the beam from the
existing deflection-coil. Too many variables.
c) You are using speaker-output level input I gather. Be absolutely
careful NOT to short the speaker outputs to each other (Right and Left
shorted together). *POOF* is the typical result in the output
devices.
d) There is no reason why you cannot insert a wireless headphone
driver in the system, other than I do not know what sort of loading
these coils will put on the output of whatever device is connected.
You may get considerable (change that to "will") imbalance.

Good luck with it. Please keep any and all children, small animals,
impaired adults and random wanderers away from this thing any time it
is plugged into the mains whether on or off.

Censtron & wobblevision have websites dedicated to this... well, words
fail.

Peter Wieck
Wyncote, PA