Posted to alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y

Default Briggs & Stratton 3.5hp Engine Will Not Start with Air FilterBolt Installed

Sylvain VAN DER WALDE wrote:
"Davy" wrote in message
Following on from the theories mentioned in this thread, I tried to start
it
with the air filter attachment bolt in place but with less choke - no
success.
Incidentally I now find that I can start the engine with the air filter
box
attached provided I remove the attachment bolt - then starts first pull.

That's what is known as a BODGE.
You should take the advice given to you by two of us (a blocked jet, or a
wrongly fitted gasket blocking a fuel/air jet).
But then, it's _your_ lawnmower engine; so who cares.

Thats the sort of state I got my wifes peugot handed to me in, after it
packed up halfway up the A1..it was obvious it was running way too rich.
I looke for the airbleed adjustment, and discovered it had been removed
in order to try and fix it.

I left it a a garage who wanted me to replace the airbox and the computer.

Then I phoned a friend, talked it over, he sent me a spare airbleed
screw, and we decided to change the water stemp sensor.

Its resiatnce never varied in a pot of boiling water, from cold. So I
spent £7.50 on a new one and screwed it in. Problem solved.