Posted to alt.home.repair
RicodJour RicodJour is offline

Default How to pay contractor, who to make check out to?

On Jun 21, 12:53 am, mm wrote:
On Wed, 20 Jun 2007 13:40:14 -0700, RicodJour

wrote:

BTW, I've never met an "honorable" tax payer. Every single one I've
ever met has felt that they are paying too much in taxes. Haven't met
one that decided they weren't getting taxed enough and sent extra
money in to make up the difference. That's what an honorable tax
payer would do, right?

No. Why would you say that? An honorable tax payer figures out what
his taxes are supposed to be, according to the rules, taking advantage
of tax breaks that apply to him, as the IRS encourages people to do,
and he pays that amount.

There is no need to pay more, although I think a few people do and I
know a lot of people leave money to the federal and state goverments
when they die.

Yeah, it's called escheat.

IF you thought a particular tax break was immoral, that would be an
argument for not taking advantage of it, but for no special reason to
pay more than the properly figured amount is, that is not required to
be honorable.

There's a fine line between "properly figured amount" and fudging.
The odds that everyone would agree on what you considered proper are
rather slim. You makes your choices, you takes you lumps.

I frequent garage sales. I'm always looking for a bargain, and have
had at least my share of luck in finding them at garage sales. At a
recent one, I bought a Trek fully-suspended bike for my sister, a
Physical Training study course for my nephew, a Vornado fan for me,
and a few other things. The woman tallied it up and said $16. I was
a bit embarrassed by the low price and asked her if it was okay if I
gave her $20 to keep it simple. I knew that the people were trying to
raise some money, they had a few little kids running around, and the
$4 wasn't going to bankrupt me.

I have a friend that would have offered her 25 cents for all that
stuff if she'd asked for 50 cents. If she'd asked for a dime he would
have asked to have it for a nickel. He looks at things in a different
way. He's still a good person.