Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rob Hamadi Rob Hamadi is offline

Default carpets

On Jun 21, 10:20 am, wrote:
On 21 Jun 2007 08:57:03 GMT, Adrian wrote:

Unfortunately the tenants smuggled a muddy dog in and
the estate agent tells me it stinks of dog and cannot be cleaned out,
so I need new carpets.

raises eyebrows
I'd have thought a bloody good shampooing should sort it, together with a
thorough airing.

I haven't been to look yet, as I've moved some distance away. The
agent sent some cleaners to stem the carpets but says it has not
worked.

Assuming he doesn't mean a particular local supplier called "trade
carpets" (Yellow pages?), he means "thin cheap ****e carpet".

I do not want to be a penny-pinching landlord and I can see that on
one hand you get what you pay for. It would be more economical to
spend more on a good carpet that lasts for years rather than a cheap
carpet that needs replacing more often. However, on the other hand, I
do not want to spend a fortune and have them ruined again.

Oh, and choose your tenants better... Make sure the rental agreement covers
the costs of cleaning, and if you don't want animals in the place, make
sure it says that...

The estate agent took care of all that. It seems the dog was smuggled
in without their knowledge and although there was a deposit, it
doesn't cover what needs to be done. They were checked beforehand and
when the estate agent checked on them the house was in good order;
things just went very downhill at the end.

Slightly OT and JMHO but it sounds like you're making the fatal
mistake of believing a single word that issues from any estate agent's
mouth.
--
Rob