Posted to uk.d-i-y
Lurch Lurch is offline

Default Flourescent Lights

On Wed, 20 Jun 2007 23:12:06 +0100, Dave
mused:

Lurch wrote:

On Wed, 20 Jun 2007 21:03:03 +0100, "The Medway Handyman"
mused:

And - those bloody awful chrome plated plastic grids -

They may be bloody awful, but they're a lot easier to remove than some
of the prismatic diffusers, especially once they've gone nice and
brittle.

IKWYM I took on a job as site supervisor at the local primary school
and we had lots of those, where they had melted and welded themselves to
the metal fitting. I ended up with lots of lights that had no diffusers.
There was a survey done to replace all the old light fittings, but
nothing had been done when I went back into retirement at the end of
last December, six months after the survey.

I usually remove the
ceiling tile next to the light box & slide the grid aside - but sometimes
the adjacent tiles are above partitions - ant tips on removing/replacing the
little buggers?

Some are easy to remove, some are not quite so easy to remove.

I found that out as well. We had some new build classrooms and all the
lights were electronic starters and twin tubed with these diffusers.
Some were a PITA to get out and replace, as well as which, being on a
tight budget, I had to find out which tube went out and which one went
to half light, so I could change one tube at a time.

As you can guess, I am very happy to have those times behind me now.

Complete contrast to when we installed lights in schools. Most of the
stuff was ridiculously expensive and overspecced. We did one school
and fitted a load of 5' flourescent battens with diffusers on one
floor full of classrooms, only these were swedish or something,
Zumtobel Staff IIRC, the fittings were about 300 and odd quid per
unit.

Installs were always no expense spared to some extent, maintenance was
a bit tighter.
--
Regards,
Stuart.