Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

Default Sinking stoop

On Wed, 20 Jun 2007 22:53:23 -0400, "Edwin Pawlowski"
wrote:

"Phisherman" wrote in message
.. .
I have a 3x4' concrete stoop just under the side garage door. Since
1992 it has been sinking. About 1997 I dug under it, used a car jack,
and put rocks underneath. It has been sinking and now is 6" below
were it was. I'd have to remove some landscaping to repeat what I did
in 1997. Is there an easier way? I can't be sure if the land is
sinking or the builder buried refuge that is now decaying.

Brace it from the other side. With a GPS system you can pinpoint the exact
location of the step, then it is merely a matter of finding the exact
location of the back of the step in China. Have them drive some solid rod
into the ground to force it back up. It may help for both of you to have a
cell phone handy for the last couple of inches to assure they don't go too
far.

Be sure to use high-temp alloy rods. You don't want it to melt in the
middle.