Posted to alt.home.repair
RBM RBM is offline

Default Unusual event

It sounds like you lost one leg of each cable, but I can't imagine how that
could have happened. At this point you'd need to disconnect each cable from
the breaker and at the load end, and do a continuity test to verify each
conductor

"H" wrote in message
In theory, continuous, but they were laid 40 years ago, and I cannot see
exactly where they go.

Note that they were working perfectly until about a week ago, and
simultaneously failed.

"RBM" rbm2(remove wrote in message
Are the cables that go from the breakers to the dryer and airconditioner
continuous, or are there junction boxes

"H" wrote in message
Same at both.

Full size breakers. Both are working perfectly. Each breaker is about
5 years old (after a heavy up).

"RBM" rbm2(remove wrote in message
It's the same at the air as the dryer? Are these breakers new or
existing? are they full sized breakers or mini breakers?

"H" wrote in message
L1 to L2 around 80V
L1 to N - 127V
L2 to N - 11V

"RBM" rbm2(remove wrote in message
Each of the two double pole breakers reads 240 volts at the breaker,
but something less at the dryer and at the AC. What exactly is the
reading across the two hot legs at the dryer and the AC?

"H" wrote in message
I reread what I originally typed, and guess I sent the message too
soon.

Yes, the breakers are fine and the power in the breaker box is fine.

The problem is at the other end of the line.

"RBM" rbm2(remove wrote in message
So, you didn't lose any voltage at the breakers as you first
indicated?

"H" wrote in message
Both breakers are working perfectly.

"RBM" rbm2(remove wrote in message
It sounds like you lost one pole of each double pole breaker.
Just loosing 11 volts wouldn't stop it from working. If you lost
one pole of each of those breakers you probably lost one leg of
the main breaker or the entire service. In a modern breaker
panel, there is pretty much no way to loose one leg of just two
breakers

"H" wrote in message
In my breaker box, I have two 40A breakers side by side. One is
for the A/C, one is for the electric dryer.

Seemingly simultaneously, both of them experienced a loss of
power (around 11V) on one leg. Thus, neither the dryer nor a/c
work.

Can anyone imagine how this could happen, seemingly
simultaneously?