Posted to alt.home.repair
EXT EXT is offline

Default Sinking stoop

"Ken" wrote in message
Phisherman wrote:
I have a 3x4' concrete stoop just under the side garage door. Since
1992 it has been sinking. About 1997 I dug under it, used a car jack,
and put rocks underneath. It has been sinking and now is 6" below
were it was. I'd have to remove some landscaping to repeat what I did
in 1997. Is there an easier way? I can't be sure if the land is
sinking or the builder buried refuge that is now decaying.

For what it is worth, I helped a neighbor who had a front 20 foot porch of
concrete start sinking. We place several hydraulic car jacks under the
porch with concrete bricks under the jacks. When the bricks stopped
sinking and the porch reached the point when it was level, we removed one
of the jacks and wedged more concrete bricks under the porch to fill the
space. Of course we repeated this procedure with the other jacks. This
was twenty years ago, and the porch is still level. The key I believe is
getting the bricks to sink until the reach a stable place. Once they do,
they will serve as a footing.

Or add some solid (no cores) 4 inch x 8 x 16 inch concrete blocks on their
sides along the edges to spread the weight.