Posted to sci.electronics.repair,uk.d-i-y
Peter Ashby Peter Ashby is offline

Default Magic eye on shredder

Martin Pentreath wrote:

Curiouser and curiouser - it was woking fine while the sun was shining
into my study, but it stopped working again as the light began to fade
indoors this evening. It works fine if I keep put my desklamp near it!
I guess this does mean that the IR LED is failing. Or maybe it's just
afraid of the dark, and likes to keep its motor going to scare off the
monsters.

Or there is a dodgy connection, when the unit is warm the metal expands
and makes the connection, when it cools the connection is broken. I had
this with an incandescent bulb. It blew, but then it came back on then
went off, then back on, then off etc. The filament had broken, when it
cooled it contracted and reconnected, at which point it heated and broke
the connection etc.

Peter
www.the-brights.net