Posted to uk.d-i-y
Dave Dave is offline

Default Flourescent Lights

Lurch wrote:

On Wed, 20 Jun 2007 21:03:03 +0100, "The Medway Handyman"
mused:

And - those bloody awful chrome plated plastic grids -

They may be bloody awful, but they're a lot easier to remove than some
of the prismatic diffusers, especially once they've gone nice and
brittle.

IKWYM I took on a job as site supervisor at the local primary school
and we had lots of those, where they had melted and welded themselves to
the metal fitting. I ended up with lots of lights that had no diffusers.
There was a survey done to replace all the old light fittings, but
nothing had been done when I went back into retirement at the end of
last December, six months after the survey.

I usually remove the
ceiling tile next to the light box & slide the grid aside - but sometimes
the adjacent tiles are above partitions - ant tips on removing/replacing the
little buggers?

Some are easy to remove, some are not quite so easy to remove.

I found that out as well. We had some new build classrooms and all the
lights were electronic starters and twin tubed with these diffusers.
Some were a PITA to get out and replace, as well as which, being on a
tight budget, I had to find out which tube went out and which one went
to half light, so I could change one tube at a time.

As you can guess, I am very happy to have those times behind me now.

Dave